This weekend I finally got to a task which I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I put up a temporary fence to see how I would like a picket fence across the front of the property. I have some 2’ x 8’ sections of plastic trellis, which I used around my vegetable garden at the last home we lived in, and had decided to put them up delineating where the fence would go, so I could get a feel for how it would look. I did this partially because the front yard has a slope to it and I wanted to see how I could keep it level across the slope and still look good.
Well it was pretty windy Sunday and yesterday and I have had to go out several times and resurrect the poor little thing. I tried to use bamboo stakes. You know the small ones that you tie up plants with and they just aren’t strong enough.
I said I’d always share the realities with you. Well this one is a failure so far. I did put in a few of the green plastic covered metal stakes and they are still holding up, but I’ll probably have to buy some more of those to really get it to stand tall.
Ah, well, one landscaping idea gone amuck. I’ll figure out a way to fix it. Of course this is temporary anyway, as come fall I plan to put in a real picket fence. One with posts cemented in the ground! I just need to know how to set the posts. At what depth so that the fence can be hung level and look nice.